EARLY RANDALL CHURCH FAMILIES
Acts 10:2 "  He and all his family were devout and
God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly."
"Dumb" John Randle
This John Randle was born about 1734 in King William Couty, VA. He is
called "Dumb" John as he could not speak. He moved to Brunswick County, VA
and married Mary Tabitha Lyon. Along with other early Methodist pioneers,
he migrated to a site on the west bank of the Yadkin River in what is now
Stanly County, NC. Early Methodist Society members met in the homes of
John Randle and John Robert Snuggs prior to the first sanctuary being built
about 1785. This structure was essentially just a brush arbor. John Randle
was a man of great faith. He became known to, and supported, the work of
Francis Asbury, one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Church
which was formed in 1784. John Randle died between 1800 and 1810 and is
believed to be buried in the yard of his home. The John Randle house
is across the street from Randall Church and is listed on the National
Registry of Historical places.
John Randle, son of "Dumb" John Randall (Some sources say "Dumb" John
died with out issue and that this John Randall was the nephew of "Dumb" John Randle
and son of Peter Randle), was born in 1784 in present day Stanly County.
He married Ann Marshall about 1815. He died 13 February 1824. His obituary in
the Carolina Observer: 26 Feb 1824, issue 37 stated: "Near Allentown in
Montgomery Co. on the 13th inst, Mr. John Randle, member of the State
Legislature, died of Cancer." The inscription on his tombstone reads:
" IN THE MEMORY OF JOHN RANDLE, ESQ., WHO DIED ON THE 13TH OF FEBRUARY,
1824, IN HIS 40TH YEAR. HE WAS A MAN OF GREAT WORTH, WHO DISCHARGED IN
AN EXEMPLARY MANNER THE DUTIES OF HUSBAND, FATHER AND FRIEND, AND WITH
ABILITY AND INTEGRITY EVERY TRUST CONFIDED TO HIM. HE WAS A POLITE
GENTLEMAN, POSSESSED OF A DISPOSITION CHEERFUL, BENEVOLENT AND KIND
AND OF A MIND STRONG, HIGHLY CULTIVATED, AND ADORNED BY LITERATURE. AND
WITH ALL, HE WAS A PIOUS MAN; TRUSTING IN HIS REDEEMER. HIS SOUL AWAITED,
THE REWARD OF HIS VIRTUES."
John Randle Home
John Robert Snuggs
The Snuggs family came to America from England via
Holland and settled first in Virginia. The patriarch of the family in
America was Robert Snuggs whose son Richard Snuggs was the father of
John Robert Snuggs, born October 29, 1777 and died January 15, 1847.
It was this John Robert Snuggs who, in July 1813, deeded church trustees
three and one-half acres of land "in consideration of the good will to,
and my wishes for the prosperity of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the
United States of America" (see Deed To Randall United Methodist Church
from John Robert Snuggs listed in the CHURCH HISTORY link). This deed
included the tract on which the log church and brush arbor stood. For
approximately ten years the church was called "Snuggs Meeting House" to
commemorate the generous gift of John Robert Snuggs. The name change back
to Randall may have come about due to the death of John Randle (1784-1824)
who was a member of the state legislator and the son of "Dumb" John Randle.
The John Robert Snuggs homeplace stands several hundred years northeast
of the church property and has been in the Snuggs family for at least
five generations. The current owner is Ed Snuggs who is the great, great
grandson of John Robert Snuggs.
OTHER EARLY CHURCH FAMILIES
Other early church settlers (1750-1760) from the Brunswick County, Virginia
area included the Marshall, Tillman, Ledbetter, Allen, Ross, Kendall, and
Christian families. In the post Revolutionary war period other familes
who migrated to the area from New Castle, Delaware included the Shankles, Swaringens,
Iveys, Blalocks, Upchurches, Hucabees, and Boysworth families.
The Cross and Flame is a registered trademark and
the use is supervised by the General Council on Finance and
Administration of The United Methodist Church. Permission to use
the Cross and Flame must be obtained from the General Council on
Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church - Legal
Department, 1200 Davis Street, Evanston, IL 60201.